CSEM and Choosing Wisely Canada have recently received feedback from patients regarding CSEM’s recommendation #3, Don’t use Free T4 or T3 to screen for hypothyroidism or to monitor and adjust levothyroxine (T4) dose in patients with known primary hypothyroidism.
In response to patient concerns regarding the recommendation, CSEM and Choosing Wisely Canada requested an independent review of the medical literature from the Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health.
Following this independent review, CSEM has modified recommendation #3 to clarify that patients should have access to additional testing, as required.
CSEM is committed to:
- Updating its members on the review and response to patient concerns, and on the modified Choosing Wisely recommendation.
- Reviewing the full list of recommendations on an annual basis. Choosing Wisely Canada recommendations are reviewed yearly and updated with current evidence.
- Collecting patient experiences regarding hypothyroidism testing and management, as well as other thyroid issues, and particularly, funding and coverage issues.
- CSEM is working with the Thyroid Foundation of Canada to advocate for appropriate care for thyroid patients.
- Fostering opportunities for new research that may help guide these important testing and treatment decisions for patients with thyroid disease.
Call for Nominations of President-Elect and Directors
CSEM is calling for nominations for President-Elect and 3 Director positions on Council. Council members play an integral role in the growth and success of our organization. We're looking for enthusiastic and committed CSEM members with strong leadership abilities, and collaboration and communication skills. We want members who can help develop and deliver programs, and who are connected to the endocrine health network.
CSEM is recruiting Council members who collectively reflect the diversity of the endocrine medical community including constituent geographic areas, as well as all areas of endocrinology (i.e.: adult, pediatric academic, community and research), language, skills and experience.
Nous avons besoin de vous! Joignez-vous au conseil de la SCEM.
Appel de candidatures pour les postes de président élu et de membres au conseil d’administration
La SCEM appelle les candidatures pour le poste de président élu et trois postes de membres au conseil d’administration. Les membres du conseil jouent un rôle essentiel dans la croissance et la réussite de notre organisme. Nous sommes à la recherche de membres de la SCEM enthousiastes et engagés qui ont de fortes capacités de leadership combinées à d’excellentes compétences en matière de collaboration et de communication. Nous voulons des membres qui entretiennent des liens avec le réseau de la santé endocrine et qui sont capables de contribuer à la mise au point et en œuvre des programmes.
La SCEM recrute pour le conseil des membres qui reflètent collectivement la diversité de la communauté médicale endocrine, notamment pour ce qui est des régions géographiques constituantes, des différents secteurs de l’endocrinologie (c.-à-d. endocrinologie adulte et pédiatrique, milieu universitaire, milieu communautaire et recherche), de la langue, des compétences et de l’expérience.
The Canadian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism (CSEM) is a professional organization bringing together academic and community-based endocrinologists and researchers engaged in providing health care, education and research within the broad domain of endocrinology. The CSEM is a national advocate for excellence in endocrinology research, education, and patient care, and its mandate is to advance the discipline of endocrinology and metabolism in Canada.
|The CSEM is on Facebook, Twitter and Flickr!|
Renew Your Membership
Your CSEM membership expires January 15, 2019. Don't miss out on important updates and stay connected with your colleagues. Renew online now.
Not only do CSEM members get discounts at the Diabetes Canada/CSEM Professional Conference and other meetings, your membership also allows you to:
- contribute and collaborate with a network of endocrinologists across Canada;
- build your career potential through a united community;
- vote and take part in CSEM committees and leadership roles;
- stay connected and informed about the latest in endocrinology and metabolism, educational opportunities and events.
CSEM values your membership. It is only through a strong and engaged member base that we can effectively advocate for excellence in endocrinology research, education, and patient care, and advance the discipline of endocrinology and metabolism in Canada.